noworldsystem.com


WeAreCHANGE Confronts Karl Rove

WeAreCHANGE Confronts Karl Rove

Truth to Power: The Spirit of CHANGE trailer

 



Bush to Shift Troops From Iraq Into Afghanistan

Bush to Shift Troops From Iraq Into Afghanistan

Jon Swaine
London Telegraph
September 9, 2008

President George W Bush is preparing to bolster US troop numbers in Afghanistan using forces freed up from Iraq.

The US will withdraw about 8,000 of its 146,000 soldiers in Iraq by February – and send 4,500 more to join the 33,000 in Afghanistan.

Mr Bush is expected to say in a speech to the US National Defence University that the improved security situation in Iraq will permit a “quiet surge” of troops in Afghanistan in the coming months.

“While the progress in Iraq is still fragile and reversible … there now appears to be a ‘degree of durability’ to the gains we have made,” Mr Bush will say.

However he will state that efforts in Afghanistan must now be ramped up.

“For all the good work we have done in that country, it is clear we must do even more. Unlike Iraq, it has few natural resources and has an underdeveloped infrastructure. Its democratic institutions are fragile,” Mr Bush will explain.

He will make clear that longer-term decisions about the deployments will be left to General David Petraeus, soon to become the Commander of US Central Command, and Mr Bush’s successor as president, who will take office in January.

Read Full Article Here

 

Afghanistan: The Good War?

Coup against Iraqi gov’t exposed
http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=68816&sectionid=351020201

Millions of Iraqis Uprooted—Media Give Little Coverage of Major Crisis
http://en.epochtimes.com/n2/world/iraq-refugees-displaced-3934.html

16 US troops commit suicide in Iraq
http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=68821&sectionid=351020201

US air power triples deaths of Afghan civilians, says report
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/sep/08/afghanistan.usa

New book says U.S. spied on Iraqi leaders
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20080905/tpl-uk-bush-iraq-book-4b8df73.html

 



60 Children Among Afghan Dead In U.S Air Strike

60 Children Among Afghan Dead In U.S Air Strike

NY Times
August 26, 2008

KABUL, Afghanistan — A United Nations human rights team has found “convincing evidence” that some 90 civilians — among them 60 children — were killed in air strikes on a village in western Afghanistan on Thursday night, a statement issued by the United Nations mission in Kabul said, making it almost certainly the deadliest case of civilian casualties caused by any United States military operation in Afghanistan since 2001.

The United Nations the team visited the scene and interviewed survivors and local officials and elders, getting a name, age and gender of each person reported killed. The team reported that 15 people had been injured in the air strikes, which occurred in the middle of the night.

The numbers closely match those given by a government commission sent from Kabul to investigate the bombing, which put the total dead at up to 95.

Mohammad Iqbal Safi, the head of the parliamentary defense committee and a member of the government commission, said the 60 children were between three months old and 16 years old, all killed as they slept. “It was a heart breaking scene,” he said.

The death toll may even rise higher since heavy lifting gear is needed to uncover all the remains, said one Western official who had seen the United Nations report.

“This is a matter of grave concern to the United Nations,” Kai Eide, the United Nations special representative for Afghanistan said in a statement. “It is vital that the International and Afghan military forces thoroughly review the conduct of this operation in order to prevent a repeat of this tragic incident,” he said.

The United Nations report adds pressure to the United States military, which has to date said only that 25 militants and five civilians were killed in the air strikes, which were aimed at a Taliban named Mullah Saddiq. The military announced it was conducting an investigation after the high civilian death toll was reported.

The bombing occurred around midnight, the United Nations statement said. “Foreign and Afghan military personnel entered the village of Nawabad in the Azizabad area of Shindand district,” it said. “Military operations lasted several hours during which air strikes were called in.” “The destruction from aerial bombardment was clearly evident, with some 7-8 houses having been totally destroyed and serious damage to many others,” it said.

Chalabi aide arrested on suspicion of Baghdad bombings
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/homepage/story/51031.html

Two Page Note Governs U.S. Military In Afghanistan
http://www.washingtonpos..AR2008082703628_pf.html

Bush administration sought to extend troop presence in Iraq through 2015.
http://thinkprogress.org/2008/08/2..roop-presence-in-iraq-through-2015/

UN finds evidence 90 civilians dead in US-led strikes
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20…unrest-civilian-us-un-2802f3e.html

Air strike sharpens civilian casualties row
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/aug/24/afghanistan.usa

Afghanistan: Hamid Karzai accuses America over civilian deaths
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/..merica-over-civilian-deaths.html

 



U.S. To Send 10K to 15K Troops To Afghanistan

U.S. To Send 10K to 15K Troops To Afghanistan

U.S. News
August 20, 2008

The Pentagon will be sending 12,000 to 15,000 additional U.S. troops to Afghanistan, possibly as soon as the end of this year, with planning underway for a further force buildup in 2009.

A request by Gen. David McKiernan, the commander of NATO forces in Afghanistan, for three U.S. brigades with support staff has been approved. “Now that means we just need to figure out a way to get them there,” adds a senior defense official.

Read Full Article Here

Judiciary Committee To Investigate Plot To Paint Plane In UN Colors And Provoke Shootdown Over Iraq
http://factsnotfairies.blogspot.com/..committee-to-investigate-plot.html

Congress Details Massive Use Of Contractors In Iraq
http://www.voanews.com/english/2008-08-12-voa52.cfm

UK troops ‘kill Afghan civilians’
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7567169.stm

 



Cheney Likely Ordered Fake Letter Linking Iraq to 9/11

CIA Official: Cheney Likely Ordered Fake Letter Linking Iraq to 9/11

Raw Story
August 9, 2008

In damning transcript, ex-CIA official says Cheney likely ordered letter linking Hussein to 9/11 attacks

A forged letter linking Saddam Hussein to the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks was ordered on White House stationery and probably came from the office of Vice President Dick Cheney, according to a new transcript of a conversation with the Central Intelligence Agency’s former Deputy Chief of Clandestine Operations Robert Richer.

The transcript was posted Friday by author Ron Suskind of an interview conducted in June. It comes on the heels of denials by both the White House and Richer of a claim Suskind made in his new book, The Way of The World. The book was leaked to Politico’s Mike Allen on Monday, and released Tuesday.

On Tuesday, the White House released a statement on Richer’s behalf. In it, Richer declared, “I never received direction from George Tenet or anyone else in my chain of command to fabricate a document … as outlined in Mr. Suskind’s book.”

The denial, however, directly contradicts Richer’s own remarks in the transcript.

“Now this is from the Vice President’s Office is how you remembered it–not from the president?” Suskind asked.

“No, no, no,” Richer replied, according to the transcript. “What I remember is George [Tenet] saying, ’we got this from’–basically, from what George said was ’downtown.’”

“Which is the White House?” Suskind asked.

“Yes,” Richer said. “But he did not–in my memory–never said president, vice president, or NSC. Okay? But now–he may have hinted–just by the way he said it, it would have–cause almost all that stuff came from one place only: Scooter Libby and the shop around the vice president.”

“But he didn’t say that specifically,” Richer added. “I would naturally–I would probably stand on my, basically, my reputation and say it came from the vice president.”

“But there wasn’t anything in the writing that you remember saying the vice president,” Suskind continued.

Read Full Article Here

 



U.S. Military Says Soldiers Fired on Civilians

U.S. Military Says Soldiers Fired on Civilians

NY Times
July 28, 2008

BAGHDAD — The American military admitted Sunday night that a platoon of soldiers raked a car of innocent Iraqi civilians with hundreds of rounds of gunfire and that the military then issued a news release larded with misstatements, asserting that the victims were criminals who had fired on the troops.

The attack on June 25 killed three people, a man and two women, as they drove to work at a bank at Baghdad’s airport. The attack infuriated Iraqi officials and even prompted the Iraqi armed forces general command to call the shooting cold-blooded murder.

It also bolstered calls from Iraqi politicians to pressure the American military to leave Iraq after this year, when a United Nations mandate expires, unless the United States agrees to permit its soldiers to be subject to criminal prosecution under Iraqi law for attacks on civilians.

In a statement issued late Sunday, the American military said that “a thorough investigation determined that the driver and passengers were law-abiding citizens of Iraq.” It added that the soldiers were not at fault for the killings because they had fired warning shots and exercised proper “escalation of force” measures before they opened fire on the people in the car.

But the findings called into question the way the military handled the aftermath of the shootings.

For example, a key assertion of the news release issued by the military on the day of the killings was that “a weapon was recovered from the wreckage.” But the military said Sunday that no one claimed to have found a weapon in the car or had seen a weapon taken from it.

Instead, one of the soldiers at the scene reported seeing an Iraqi police officer pull something from the burned car and then place it in the front seat of an ambulance, according to Lt. Col. Steve Stover, a spokesman for the Fourth Infantry Division, which patrols Baghdad.

Read Full Article Here

 

Canadians Kill Two Children At Afghan Checkpoint

Canada.com
July 29, 2008

Canadian soldiers opened fire on a speeding vehicle after its driver ignored repeated warnings not to approach a military convoy Sunday, killing two young children.

The soldiers used hand signals, flashing lights and sirens in a futile attempt to warn the car away.

Fearing they were under attack by a suicide bomber, soldiers fired a single round when the car was just 10 metres from their vehicle, killing a two-year-old and a four-year-old who were passengers in the car.

Read Full Article Here

Henry Kissinger: Occupation of Iraq Needs To Continue
http://www.washingtonpost.com/..08073002947.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

Top Advisor to U.S. Military: “There is No Battlefield Solution to Terrorism”
http://georgewashington2.blogsp..-us-military-confirms-war.html

Death toll climbs in Iraq bombings
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jul/28/iraq.terrorism

Saturday: 7 Iraqis Killed, 19 Wounded
http://www.antiwar.com/updates/?articleid=13206

15 % of women in the military test positive for sexual trauma
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25784465/

US Has Killed 78 Afghan Civilians This Month
http://www.washingtonpost.com..2403465.html?hpid=topnews

The pictures you won’t ever see from Iraq
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/..5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

 



4 arrested for attempting citizens arrest on Karl Rove

4 arrested for attempting citizens arrest on Karl Rove

Iowa Politics
July 25, 2008

Four Iowans were arrested today while attempting to make a Citizens’ Arrest of Karl Rove in Des Moines, Iowa. Citing Iowa Code provisions for making Citizen’s Arrests as well as citing Federal Statute violations they claimed Rove had violated, the four were stopped at the gate of the Wakonda Country Club in Des Moines where Rove was scheduled to speak at a Republican Fundraiser.

The four arrested were retired Methodist minister and Peace and Justice Advocate, Rev. Chet Guinn, 80, as well as three Des Moines Catholic Workers, Edward Bloomer, 61, Kirk Brown, 25, and Mona Shaw, 57. All four were cited for trespassing and released.

The four maintained that they were acting within the guidelines of Iowa Code that obligate private citizens to make such an arrest if they believe a felony has been committed and turn Rove over to police officials to bring Rove before a judge for formal indictment. By law, a federal judge should consider the charges and determine if an indictment should be made.

Brown and Shaw made a similar attempt last March when Rove spoke at the University of Iowa, Iowa City. Brown and Shaw were arrested and released without charges following that attempt. Deaths in the Middle East since the March attempt number in the thousands including, 151 more US troops have been killed in Iraq, and 284 killed in Afghanistan as well as far more citizens of those two nations.

Rove remains unindicted and recently refused to cooperate with a Congressional subpoena in the Valerie Plame leak investigation. Despite mounting evidence of Rove’s wrongdoing concerning leading the U.S. to war as well as other actions, Congress and the U.S. judicial system remain reluctant to bring charges against either Rove or the Bush administration. Recent evidence includes Articles of Impeachment that will again be presented by Ohio Congressman Dennis Kucinich tomorrow. Vincent Bugliosi’s new book “The Prosecution of George W. Bush for Murder” carefully lays out a case against Bush and his administration for war crimes and felony murder. Bugliosi was prosecutor for the Charles Manson Family murders and author of the book “Helter Skelter,” which dealt with that crime.

To date there have been 4125 US Military deaths in Iraq, 896 in Afghanistan, 66,775 casualties (wounded as well as those removed for other injuries and illnesses), and more than 200,000 Iraqi and Afghani citizens killed and many, many more wounded.

 

Karl Rove should be in jail for contempt