noworldsystem.com


Boy Scouts Covering Up Child Sex Abuse
May 1, 2010, 11:30 am
Filed under: Uncategorized

Sexual abuse scandal rocks Boy Scouts of America after $18.5m payout


Plaintiff Kerry Lewis shows his relief after winning his sexual assault claim against the Boy Scouts of America. Photograph: Rick Bowmer/AP

Guardian
Aprili 29, 2010

America’s Scouting movement is fighting to keep secret thousands of “perversion files” on suspected child molesters after it was ordered to pay record damages over the sexual abuse of a former Scout.

In a growing scandal threatening to rival the crisis hitting the Roman Catholic church, the Boy Scouts of America has been accused of covering up decades of child abuse in order to protect the reputation of what is now a billion-dollar organisation.

Last week, a jury in Oregon made the largest punitive damages award to a single plaintiff in a child abuse case in the US by ordering the Scouts to pay $18.5m (£12m) to Kerry Lewis, who was repeatedly assaulted by a former assistant scoutmaster, Timur Dykes, in the 1980s. Dykes had admitted to a superior in the Scouts that he had abused boys, but was allowed to remain in the organisation and is alleged to have sexually assaulted several other children who are also taking legal action.

The judge in the case overruled the Scouts’ attempts to keep the jury from seeing about 1,200 files kept by the organisation on suspected paedophiles. Kelly Clark, Lewis’s lawyer, told the jury that while the files were often used to remove child abusers from the Scouting movement, many were allowed to remain in the organisation. He said that the Scouts rarely alerted the police and when they did, the movement asked the authorities to avoid publicity.

Clark told the jury that the Scouting leadership had been “reckless and outrageous” in failing to warn parents and boys about the problem.

The files shown to the jury were not made public and are just a small part of what is believed to be a cache of as many as 6,000 held at the Scouts’ headquarters in Texas, dating back to the 1920s. Lawyers for alleged sexual abuse victims are suing to have all the files made public at a hearing next month.

If that happens, it is likely to prove a severe blow to an organisation that is already at the centre of controversy over a bar on atheists and gay people. Membership stands at about 3 million, but has been dropping for more than a decade, in part because of the controversies over discrimination.

Clark said the scale of the award to Lewis reflects a heightened awareness of sexual crimes against children because of the recent revelations about the Catholic church. But he also said that the jury was shocked by the existence of what in court were called the “perversion files”.

“We said they had 75 years of secret files about paedophiles, and that’s the way the evidence came in. I think that fact in itself was just staggering to the jury,” he said. “They had a regular practice of placing guys on probation and then they would allow them to continue to be active in Scouting, not unlike some of what you saw in the Catholic church.”

Dykes confessed his abuse in 1983 to the local Scouts co-ordinator, who also happened to be a Mormon bishop, but was allowed to continue working with the Scouts. Lewis said he was molested by Dykes over the following two years. The Mormon church settled with Lewis and seven other victims of Dykes more than a year ago.

Clark said the Scouts shared information from the files when requested to do so by the police, but it almost never took the initiative in submitting a case to the authorities, even where there was credible evidence of abuse.

“The routine was that they would deal with it internally,” said Clark. “They would place the paedophile on their list of ineligible volunteers and if it was dropable they would drop it, and it was done. There were numerous examples of Scouting executives saying ‘let’s keep this quiet, he’s out of Scouting now, so we don’t need to do any more about it.’ There was definitely a misguided sense of priorities.”

Even where the police did become involved, the Scouts sought to minimise the damage to the organisation.

“We saw numerous examples of the Scouts writing to law enforcement saying ‘it would be best for the good of Scouting if this could avoid being made too public.’ Law enforcement was almost complicit in this saying ‘we’ll do our best to keep this quiet because we value the work of the Boy Scouts,'” said Clark.

The Scout leadership said it was seeking to keep the files secret to protect the privacy of the victims and to guard against being sued for false accusations. It said it was “deeply saddened” by the abuse of Lewis, but would not comment further on the case because of continuing litigation.

Read Full Article Here

Priest child abuse caught on tape, shakes Brazil

 

Advertisements

Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s



%d bloggers like this: